Mason Greenwood had all charges against him for attempted rape, assault, and coercive control dropped today.
The Manchester United striker, 21, was arrested for the first time in January of last year after police raided his home.
Greenwood was scheduled to go on trial in November for attempted rape, assault, and coercive control.
The Crown Prosecution confirmed today that all charges against him had been dropped.
A spokesperson said: “We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.
“In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.
“In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.
“We have explained our decision to all parties.
“We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”
Greenwood last appeared in court in November where a trial date was set for November 23 this year.
The alleged offenses were allegedly committed by one woman between November 1, 2018, and October 15, 2022.
For nearly four years, Greenwood was accused of “repeatedly engaging” in controlling and coercive behavior, including threats and derogatory comments on social media.
He was also accused of attempting to rape the woman on October 21, 2021 and assaulting her between December 12, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
After being charged by police on October 15, the footballer was initially remanded in custody.
However, he was released by a judge on the condition that he not contact witnesses, including the complainant, and that he reside at an address in Bowdon.
Last January, the striker was arrested at his £15,000-a-month rented home in Trafford and spent three nights in custody.
He was suspended from United but continued to receive his weekly salary of £75,000.
In the aftermath of the allegations, Greenwood was removed from FIFA 22 and dropped by sponsors Nike.
He also confirmed that he would not be appearing in Football Manager 2022.
The official Manchester United website removed all merchandise bearing the No11’s name, and teammates unfollowed him on Instagram.
Greenwood last appeared for the Red Devils on January 22, when they defeated West Ham 1-0.
The player joined the team at the age of six and quickly rose through the ranks to earn a spot on the first team.
In 2019, he became the youngest footballer to play for United in the Champions League when he took to the pitch aged 17.
Greenwood has made 129 appearances in total for the Red Devils and netted 35 goals.
In 2020, England manager Gareth Southgate gave the striker his first cap when Greenwood came off the bench in a 1-0 win against Iceland.
Greenwood missed out on last year’s Three Lions’ World Cup campaign in Qatar as the case went to court.
Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s Head of Public Protection, said today: “The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.
“Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.
“I would, however, like to use this opportunity to reiterate GMP’s commitment to investigating allegations of violence against women and girls and supporting those affected, regardless of their circumstances, throughout what can be a hard and upsetting time for them.
“An ever increasing number of officers are receiving specialist training and the force is more consistently utilising tools, available via the criminal justice system, to keep people safe and care for victims.
“If you believe you are or may be a victim, please do not let this case discourage you from seeking help.”